<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thepinksamurai.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Pink Samurai: Re:Make Re-cap

The Pink Samurai

Friday, May 09, 2014

Re:Make Re-cap

Re:Make was last weekend and since I totally bugged the crap out of you guys in the weeks leading up, I figured I should share some of my thoughts on the show and post waaaaay too many photos.

As craft shows go, the organizers were really great.  I got all the info I needed in terms of setting up and they created a really intimate space for the show.  Brit+Co provided pipe and fabric backdrops for everyone that made the space really consistent and kept your eyes from wandering up to the massive convention center ceiling.  That being said, there wasn't a lot of promotion or advertising for the show, so the crowd was really sparse.  For me, it wasn't a show for making boats loads of cash (no diving into my silo filled with gold coins, today), but it was amazing for networking with other artists.  I got to see some old friends, meet some new ones and was inspired to make new things.  Also, I had a legitimate reason to wear a fanny pack and that's pretty great.

So here's a massive photo dump of weekend!
Scarves and bows!  I hand stamped these scarves using this technique and couldn't be happier with how they turned out.  The texture is just so cool!  And seriously...who doesn't love an obnoxious bow?  I've been wearing the small pink and teal ones almost everyday.

PS: Andy totally designed and made those peg-board easels just for me!  They fold and fit perfectly in our new car.  I insisted they be painted bright pink, obviously.  
Out of all the new scarves I made for the show, I think I'm most proud of the dip-dyed denim ones.  I just used bleach to create some really fun color-blocking and textures on the denim.  Would you be into a DIY post about it?  It definitely took a lot of trial and error to find the right technique for these lil guys.
I was in awe with all the colors and patterns around the event center for this show.  Brit+Co's branding is super bright and fun, and think they did a great job curating folks that really fit in with their brand.
Happy Cactus was across from my booth and Brannon and I took turns watching each other's booth's when we needed a quick break.  Maker solidarity, you guys!  How adorable is her illustration style, by the way?  Those cacti kill me.
MakeATX, being as awesome as ever.  I love these ladies' sense of humor.  You know, their business cards have a pop-up unicorn on them.  They are true heroes!
See what I mean by bright branding?  This "Re:Charge" space was occupied by mostly boyfriends, husbands and fathers, patiently waiting for their ladies.  Also, I just remembered seeing a lady on the first day that was carrying around a tray of watermelon slices and just chowin' down.  These were like, legit giant slices of a huge watermelon.  Austinites are kind of the best.
Brandie (on the left) and her shop Blue Morpho Apothecary!  We're Team Building chairs for the Austin Craft Riot together this year and I'm getting excited for our next meeting!
I loved the styling of her set up.  A customer stopped by and helped make the best action shot.  I might have told her to reach again so I could get a shot at another angle...perpetual photo director haha!  It's totally normal to tell strangers to pose in photos for you, right?  :/
Oh, Poppy and Fern!  Rachel's work is just stunning and I finally bought a piece on the last day of the show.  She embroiders everything by hand and does it free-style.  No patterns for this lady!  
I mean, really?  They are pretty much the cutest things ever.  I'm hoping to get some custom portraits of Turks, Sprinkles and Mooch eventually.
I think I see Lisa at every craft show in town...she's a seriously busy chick!  Her "make your own nail polish" station is always filled with excited folks.  Someday, I will make the perfect pink polish, and everything will be right with the world.
The Triumphant Betawife!  Lauren is the reason I got into the show, so she's pretty much the best.  She posted that they had extra spots and after I applied, she referred me to the Brit+Co folks ^_^  Thanks, lady!!
She's also brilliant and set up a Star Wars photo booth because the last day of the show was May 4th.  I firmly and vehemently defend this statement, by the way.  I might look jolly in this photo, but it's serious business.  This button was in my shop many moons (that's no moon...) ago and I think it might need to make a comeback!
This is a quick snap of my little haul from the show.  The shirt is from Eleventy-Five.  Jessica was in the booth directly across from me and we spent a lot of time chatting and talking about cats ^_^ The tea towel is from Fair Morning Blue.  Tracy's sweet little girl is learning crochet and was able to tell me which stitch I used for one of my cowls!  And the necklace is Poppy and Fern, of course.  I found the pinkest one she had :P

Not gonna lie, I was a little bummed that I didn't sell much.  But it was a slow show for most sellers and it's not that I'm glad they didn't do well, but I kind of am hahaha!  At least I know folks weren't just avoiding me because I was stinky or something.  I'm definitely looking forward to a better turnout next year.  Plus, I'm always one to look on the bright side and I'm so glad to have been included with such awesome folks and to have been able to hang out with them all weekend!  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home