<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://thepinksamurai.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
The Pink Samurai: How to Stop Biting Your Nails

The Pink Samurai

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

How to Stop Biting Your Nails


Now, I'm not a doctor, or a therapist, or an expert on habitual behavior.  But I used to bite and pick at my fingernails like whoa and figured out how to stop.  My nails were a hot mess.  Not gonna lie, I would even pick them down to the quick sometimes and they'd hurt like hell for days.  I know...it's gross! So I figured I would share what worked for me, incase you're ruining you're cute mani right now.


Noticing your Triggers 
I knew that my picking and occasional biting was a stress reaction.  A nervous habit.  My first step to stopping was to take note of when I was doing it.  Breaking out of that nail-trance could be difficult, but I found that I was really going for it during work.  I had a stressful job in a fast-paced environment, and it was starting to get to me. Specifically during meetings.  Once I knew this was when I exhibiting that habitual behavior, I could consciously stop myself from doing it.  It didn't always work, but just being aware helped me change the conditions and the behaviors.

Deep breaths and occupying my hands with other things helped when I noticed I was going to town.  Doodles in my note pad, holding my hands in my lap, and interlocking my fingers together and putting my hands on the desk infront of me (especially during meetings) would help focus my attention away from the habit and force myself to stop.

Nail Files are your BFFs 
So besides the stressful triggers, if there was a snag in my nail, I'd immediately go to pick at it.  This would ruin the nail with the snag, and if one nail was ruined, then the rest were fair game.  Carrying a nail file with me all the time really helped.  Instead of going to pick, I would go for the file instead.  This would stop the snag from getting any worse and remove the temptation to pick.  I just get those cheap-y little packs and they do the trick for me!  I've got a few in my bag, on my desk and in my car just in case.

Super Cute Mani 
Another way I avoided ruining my nails was to paint my nails.  For a while it was a weekly "me time" kind of thing.  Spending a little time each weekend choosing fun color palettes to use and just chillin' out while they dried.  Having my nails done acted as a deterrent, because I didn't want to ruin the cute polish.  It looked cute and I spent the time on them, so I didn't want to mess it up.  Just be careful you don't pick the polish off!


I hope these tips can help you out if you find yourself with lil nubbin nails!  I haven't picked or bitten my nails in over 3 months and I know you can cut it out, too.  Bad habits are hard to break, but not impossible!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home